Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

My Top 9 Comic Book Movies of All Time

Since I'm a fan of comic books, I have virtually watched every superhero/comic book film out there - except for a few good ones - like Sin City and V for Vendetta for example, which is a shame really. Anyway, I have been running out of things to write on my blog and I don't want to fill this up with comic book reviews all the time.

There were a lot of comic book movies that I own on DVD, some of them are good, some of them not, and only a few are memorable, and I will going to list them down in no particular order.

So without further ado here are the best comic book movies that I have watched:


Spider-Man


The original is always the best as they say and this first Spidey flick proved that. It told the classic Spiderman origin, of how an ordinary school geek named Peter Parker became a super powered hero because of a bite from an irradiated spider, and learning that "with great power comes with great responsibility." Our friendly neighborhood hero surely didn't disappoint, with Tobey Maguire playing an excellent lead role. 

Favorite Scene: What else? The Mary Jane-Spidey upside down kiss in the rain. 'Nuff said.


 Batman (1989) 


The mother of all Batman movies. Tim Burton (of the Edward Scissorhands fame) directed this new take on the Batman mythos (new at the time at least) while comedic actor Michael Keaton took on the role as the caped crusader. The villain? The Joker played by the legendary Jack Nicholson. Loosely based on the Alan Moore classic "The Killing Joke", it gave new breath to the character and paved way for the creation of the Batman franchise. It is still one of my favorite Batman movies and I remember being so excited every time it was played on TV. It was that memorable - especially Jack's performance.

 Favorite scene: The first ever Batman-Joker face off. 


300

 
Who wouldn't forget all the bloody action and six-pack abs? This movie adaptation of Frank Miller's comic book masterpiece re-imagines the epic battle that occured in "The Battle of Thermopylae". 300 brave spartans led by King Leonidas (played by Gerard Butler) against millions of Persian warriors led by Xerxes. It was a great visual treat and a good historical film.

Favorite scene:  I was thinking the sex scene between King Leonidas and his wife (played by the red hot Lena Headey), but I changed my mind:

Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!
King Leonidas: Madness...?
[shouting]
King Leonidas: This is Sparta! 
[Kicks the messenger down the well

Leonidas doesn't give a f**k.



Men In Black

 
Big guns, aliens in all varieties, and a white guy and a black guy teaming up to defend the Earth against all abominations? This movie kicked-butt, with Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith in the lead roles. The theme song didn't hurt either. 

Favorite scene:  There were so many, and some I can't really remember, but I kinda chuckled everytime they did that "flashy-thing" routine to make people forget whenever they saw aliens.


Iron Man (2008)


Like I said, nothing beats the original. Robert Downey Jr as billionaire-industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man. It was the perfect. Packed with a lot of action scenes and high tech special effects, Iron Man gave me a lot of "WOW" moments and that's all I needed to realize that this was one hell of a comic book movie.

Favorite scene:  Iron Man taking his first flight.


X-Men (1999)

Any X-Men fan was happy to see this movie. All those characters that we all knew since childhood coming alive on the big screen: Charles Xavier, Wolverine, Rogue, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Beast, and the rest of the gang fighting Magneto and his evil mutants in an all-out war with Earth's fatehanging in the balance. Epic. Not to mention that it spawned two more sequels and started the re-emergence of comic book movies.

Favorite scene:   Can't remember the best scene for me. There were too many. I think I have to watch it again. haha. 


Blade (1998)

Wesley Snipes as a half-vampire, half-human killing machine was cool. I can't say anything that wouldn't make this as one of the best comic book movies. Anybody who saw this film wanted more when the credits rolled at the end.

Favorite scene: Again, I can't remember one fantastic scene that stood out in my mind. Kinda forgot. It's been a long time since I watched it, cmon.



The Dark Knight (2008)


Though the success of Batman Begins revived the whole Batman franchise after the abysmal movies that came before it years ago (remember Batman: Forever with all the nipples in the Bat costume? horrible), Christopher Nolan's sequel is probably the greatest Batman film ever. It broke box-office records and became the talk of the movie world - primarily because of Heath Ledger's monumental performance as the criminal psychopath, The Joker

His untimely death even before the film was released didn't hurt the movie's mystique and appeal either. R.I.P. Heath.

Favorite scene: I would say scenes. The first being the Joker "Pencil Trick" scene and then the Batman & Joker Interrogation scene. Both were fantastic. Watch it again if you don't believe me.


Superman: The Movie (1978)


For those guys who were born in the "Spider-Man" or "X-Men" era, you got to have and watch this movie if haven't seen it once because this is the movie that started it all. Directed by Richard Donner, Superman: The Movie set the standards of what a superhero movie should be. 

Starring a then-unknown Christopher Reeve in the lead role as the Big Blue Boy Scout,  the movie became an instant classic primarily because of Reeve's amazing performance as  the bumbling Clark Kent and Superman, in a "a role within a role" setup. The effects were pretty considering the time this was created and it not only that, it boasted a star-studded cast featuring Marlon Brando, Margot Kidder, Gene Hackman, Phyllis Thaxter etc. 

It really made us believe that a man can fly. And it still does up to this day.

Favorite scene: Superman's first save. The unforgettable helicopter scene with Lois Lane. Goosebumps.  Watch it here.


So those we're my best comic book movies. If you feel like I forgot a movie that's deserving to be included in this list, or a movie that shouldn't be here, feel free to comment. Hope you liked my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment